We’ve all had those blah days where we wake up and the first thing that comes to mind is “Nope, I’m not feeling today.” Instinctively we want to avoid all human contact like they’re a disease and wallow in self-pity. This isn’t an option because we have to go to school or work and interact with the world. So, here are tips to turn your bad day around and remain positive even when you’re not feeling up to it.
- Work Out – Most forms of exercise will release a hormone called endorphins. Endorphins are known as the “feel good” chemical because it helps reduce stress and pain. Go running or go for a brisk walk before you start your day. Vitamin D, which you can access from being outside in the sun, can also boost your attitude, so take that walk in the sun’s warm rays.
- Treat Yourself- Today is the perfect day to indulge yourself in something small (and simple) that you love, but on a rare occasion. Grab that expensive latte, buy an app you’ve had your sights on for a while, rent the book from the library you’ve been meaning to read or watch a great movie you haven’t seen in a long time. Eating “feel good” foods can help your mood as well. Enjoy some: chocolate, avocados, bananas, strawberries and leafy greens. Spoiling yourself no matter how small can uplift your spirits.
- Avoid Isolation – Being alone when you feel down is not always the best choice. Being around friends has great potential to turn your day around! Seek out the friends that make you laugh. Their positive ambience will invigorate you. There’s no shame in telling your friends you’re having a bad day because odds are they’ll try to make the day better. They’re friends for a reason and they’re sure to put a smile on your face.
- Organize – Surprisingly, when you have some form of clutter in your life you stress out. This clutter can be from your closet, desk or any place where you store personal and digital belongings. Try reorganizing your space or putting items you don’t need at the moment in storage. Make a doable “to-do” list of tasks you’ve been meaning accomplish and knock them out. Having a sense of control in some aspect of your life can make the difference between a horrendous day and a good one.
- Seek Inner Peace – When in doubt, pray it out. Seek solace by spending some time with God by praying, reading the Bible or listening to worship music. You may obtain peace of mind by meditating and journaling how you feel. Performing a talent He has given you can also bring you a sense of peace. Your uniqueness makes you beautiful and realizing your genuine beauty can bring you the encouragement you need to have a good day.
Remember that you’re human and that it’s normal to have bad days. Take it on head first and be proactive to turn it around! Connect with us using #FixedMyDay and tell us how you turned your bad day into a good one.