Feel the Love Tonight
Instead of cursing Cupid, share the love this Valentine’s Day with your friends by throwing a fabulous fest celebrating each other.
Isn’t it Romantic?
In addition to candles and fresh flowers, here are darling decorations to set the mood:
*Cover your front door with red gift-wrap and tape on white paper lace doilies.
*Using cheap red lipstick, write “Be Mine” on your bathroom mirror (remind your mom to calm down – it comes off with glass cleaner).
*Cover your dining room table with a pink or red tablecloth and sprinkle conversation heart candies and paper confetti hearts (find them in the party aisle at the grocery store).
Labor of Love
As a fun activity, transform your coffee table into a “design-your-own” Valentine station. Ask each girl to create a special note for another guest affirming all the reasons she’s loved. For supplies, stop by a craft store like Michael’s or Hobby Lobby and buy paper doilies, colored paper, Valentine-themed scrapbook paper, ribbons, colored markers and pens, glue sticks, etc. (Tip: Hunt around the house first-you may be surprised what you’ll discover!)
Stick to a scrumptious selection of sweets. Complement these Classic Valentine Cookies with store-bought heart brownies. Be sure to have plenty of themed candy dishes filled with chocolates scattered throughout the party area.
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ cups shortening
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. With an electric mixer, slowly mix in the shortening and blend well.
- Stir in the almond extract and milk, followed by the eggs.
- Roll dough onto a floured surface. (Tip: Dust flour onto the rolling pin to prevent sticking).
- Cut out hearts and arrange on a greased cookie sheet 1-2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cookie is just golden.
- Frost with pink frosting and sprinkle with red sugar or have your guests decorate their own.
Yields: Four-dozen (48) cookies (depending on the size of the cookie cutter).
Love Potion #9
Serve up perfect punch for your lovely ladies with this recipe:
- 2 liters ginger ale
- 2 liters cranberry juice
- 1 gallon raspberry sherbet
- Pour half of the chilled ginger ale and cranberry juice into a large punch bowl. Scoop the raspberry sherbet into the bowl and then add the remaining ginger ale and cranberry juice over the sherbet.
- For fun, toss a few rose petals into the punch bowl and serve!
As a cute party favor for your guests, fill red glass votive candle holders (available at home stores like Target) with conversation hearts. Place each in the middle of a square of pink tissue paper, pull each corner of the tissue paper up to cover the candle holder, twist the tissue paper and then tie with a white ribbon at the twist.
Find the perfect play list or cater to your girlfriends with these chick flicks and host one enchanted evening.