The family that hangs together stays together
The first relationships you ever form are the ones with your family. They protect you, engage with you and challenge you all throughout your life. The members of your family are some of the most important relationships you will ever have. On Valentine’s Day, it’s easy to become distracted with the concept of romantic love, but instead, take some time to appreciate the familial love you have.
Your family may drive you crazy, and that’s normal. You’re developing your own taste and personality, and sometimes that clashes with your parents and/or siblings. Your family, even at their craziest, should be a source of support, love and humor. In order for you to establish those relationships, you need to spend time with your family. On Valentine’s Day, there are many ways that you could spend time with your family.
- Watch a movie together – It’s a simple way to bring your family together and do something that you all enjoy
- Look through photo albums of your parents at your age – It’s strange and funny to think about what your parents were like as teenagers. Taking a look at some photos of their teen years will be comical and you may even learn something from them.
- Play video games as a family – Bonding through an activity that your parents may not ever take the time to participate in is valuable because it exposes them to your world and helps them understand more of who you are and what you find relaxing.
- Make dinner together – Take time to each prepare a separate part of the meal (salad, main course, side dish, dessert, drinks) or collaborate on one main dish like a giant homemade pizza.
- Decorate homemade cupcakes or cookies – Create festive desserts specially for each member in the family. Maybe your dad loves malt balls, while your sister loves gummy bears, pile the malt balls on a specially frosted cupcake for you dad and load on the gummy bears for your sis. Not only will you be decorating goodies for each person specifically, but by doing it together as a family, you’ll establish fun bonding time to chat about what’s going on in your life as well as make fun of each others’ silly decorating ideas.
There are many ways to spend time together. Your parents will be thrilled to spend time with you and being with your siblings builds the foundation for a strong relationship.
In the Bible, God is often referred to as a Father. Fellow Christians are also talked about as brothers and sisters. Family relationships are used as examples of beautiful, unique, strong relationships. Tweet us @niNeMag with the hashtag #familylove with an example of how your family blesses you.