What’s growing in your area?
On a chilly fall day, there’s nothing better than cooking with fresh produce. Even though summer is over, there are still a variety of fruits and vegetables in season. Check your farmer’s market or grocery store for the season’s best foods!
Perfect Pumpkin Muffins
Nothing says fall quite like pumpkins. Savor each moment of the season with a batch of these delicious muffins. You can even make a batch to share with your neighbors!
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened pureed pumpkin*
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1 2/3 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 12 muffin liners
Muffin Filling Ingredients
- 4 oz. fat-free cream cheese
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. whole-wheat flour
- 1 egg white
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
* Use canned pumpkin if fresh pumpkins aren’t available in your region
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Blend eggs, pumpkin and applesauce together in a large bowl.
- When wet ingredients are combined, add dry ingredients and blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix all Muffin Filling Ingredients together until smooth.
- Place muffin liners in muffin pan.
- Fill each liner about halfway with pumpkin muffin batter.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Muffin Filling to each muffin.
- Top off each muffin with batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let muffins cool and enjoy!
Not your Grandma’s Green Beans
Green beans are an excellent addition to any meal, especially in the fall. This recipe provides a crisp, fresh approach to traditional green beans.
- 1 lb. fresh green beans
- 1 large orange
- ¼ cup fresh chopped chives
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of pepper
- Clean and trim green beans.
- Peel orange and cut up peeling into small pieces.
- Fill a large pot with one inch of water and bring to a boil.
- When water starts boiling, add green beans, orange peel, salt and pepper.
- Cover pot and let ingredients simmer on a low heat for about 5 minutes, or until beans are tender.
- Remove green beans from the pot and enjoy!