What’s growing in your area?
Summer can be full of exciting new adventures. It’s also the perfect time to experiment with different fruits and vegetables in the kitchen. With the abundance of summer produce, fresh fruits and vegetables are affordable and fun to cook. Be sure to check your local farmer’s market or grocery store to stock up on fresh produce in your area!
Vibrant Veggie Pizza
Having a sleepover and craving pizza? Try this homemade pizza recipe using fresh veggies.
- 1 zucchini*
- 1 yellow pepper *
- 1 red pepper*
- 1 onion*
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 prebaked 12-in. whole-wheat pizza crust
- 1 jar pizza sauce (8 oz.)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. fresh basil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- * Use your favorite vegetables available in your region
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Chop all vegetables into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Mix olive oil, basil, salt and pepper in with veggies.
- Transfer veggies into a large frying pan, cover pan and cook on medium heat, stirring frequently for 8-10 minutes, or until tender.
- Place pizza crust on a cookie sheet or pizza pan.
- Spread pizza sauce on the crust and add cooked veggies and cheese.
- Bake the pizza for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is lightly browned.
- Slice, serve and enjoy.
Berry Delightful Pie
Summer berries are full of antioxidants and are a great treat for your sweet tooth. Whether you’re baking for a party, your family or a girls’ night in, this pie is sure to impress any crowd.
- 5 cups fresh berries*
- 1 pre-made piecrust
- 1 can whip cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- * Use any berries available in your region
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.
- Add berries to pot and cook over medium heat.
- Stir mixture until it comes to a boil, or until berries are soft.
- Pour mixture into your piecrust.
- Put pie in refrigerator to chill until it reaches a semi-solid consistency.
- Serve with a dollop of whip cream and enjoy!