We love Christmas music here at niNe. When Black Friday hits, we’re singing “Joy to the World” while Decking our Halls and it’s non-stop until Epiphany. We’re drawn to Christmas songs because they’re a musical depiction of Christ’s arrival to earth – one of the most miraculous (and probably not Silent) Night ever known to man. The songs are fun, sentimental and make our hearts truly contemplate the majesty of our Lord. Though many Christmas tunes are derived from the Bible, there are three actual biblical Christian Christmas songs that we want to recognize as praise to our Lord this season.
Christian Christmas Songs Mary’s Song: the Magnificat
One of the most beautiful statements in the Bible is when Mary worships her Lord upon understanding the gift she will bare:
- My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
- for He has looked on the humble estate of His servant.
- For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
- for He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name.
- And His mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation.
- He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts;
- He has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate;
- He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich He has sent away empty.
- He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy,
- as He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to His offspring forever.
Glory to God as Christian Christmas Songs
An angel appeared to the shepherds announcing the birth of the savior. Then, suddenly there was a multitude of heavenly hosts praising God.
- Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom He is pleased!
For Unto Us a Child Is Born is Christian Christmas Songs
Before Jesus was born, His presence here on earth was understood through the words of the prophet Isaiah.
- The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shined.
- You have multiplied the nation; you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest, as they are glad when they divide the spoil.
- For the yoke of His burden, and the staff for His shoulder, the rod of His oppressor, you have broken as on the day of Midian.
- For every boot of the tramping warrior in battle tumult and every garment rolled in blood will be burned as fuel for the fire.
- For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon His shoulder, and His name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
- Of the increase of His government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this.
Isaiah 9: 3-7
Now, go spend the Christmas season with your family or friends and enjoy a deeper realization of Christ’s arrival and magnificences.