Imagine a beautiful summer day: Blue skies are stretched out overhead. A slight breeze cools your skin and makes the grass gently sway in waves. Birds are singing. The day beckons you to come out and enjoy it with some outdoor eating! After all, the Bible says that, “Each day is God’s gift. Make the most of each one!” (Ecclesiastes 9:7-10 The Message)
This day is too spectacular to enjoy by yourself, so how about having a picnic with family, friends or maybe that special guy in your in life?
Below are nine picnic themes and menu ideas for outdoor eating.
1. Pool Day Picnic
Spread out the beach towels and enjoy a light lunch at the pool.
- Finger sandwiches: Turkey sandwiches cut into four small triangles
- Baked potato chips
- Strawberries, blueberries and fruit dip or vanilla yogurt
2. Backyard BBQ
Grab a gingham table cover and uncover fun in your own backyard.
- Pulled pork BBQ on buns
- Cole slaw or kale salad
- Potato Salad
- Blond Brownies
3. Date Night Outdoor Eating
Pack a basket with these yummy foods to enjoy on a summer afternoon or starry night.
- Chicken Sticks (chicken nuggets served on skewers)
- Dipping sauces for the Chicken Sticks
- Home-baked French Fries
- Fresh veggies with Ranch dip
- Chocolate chip cookies
4. Family Fun Night
Gather the whole family for backyard games, a fabulous family-friendly picnic and then hang a white sheet on an outside wall to use as a screen for an outdoor movie!
- Mexican taco/quesadilla bar
- Tortilla chips and salsa
- Apple slices
- Chocolate brownies
5. Picnic Break for a Day at the Zoo
Fill a cooler with these goodies and then head to the zoo!
- Variety of sub sandwiches cut into quarters
- Individual fruit cups
- Assortment of individual bags of chips
- Animal Crackers (cookies)
6. Outdoor Eating at the Mall
Skip the Food Court and find an outdoor table to enjoy a picnic, instead!
- Leafy green salads topped with grilled chicken, sliced strawberries, mandarin oranges, shredded cheese and croutons
- Flavored Greek yogurt cups
7. Outdoor Concert/Music Festival
Spread out your quilt and unpack this basket full of yummy food.
- Favorite baked pasta dish (ravioli, rigatoni, alfredo or tetrazzini)
- Side salads
- Bread sticks
- Slices of cheesecake
8. Beach/Lake Picnic Break
Find a shady spot to take a break with this easy to pack picnic.
- Variety of Sandwiches: PB&J, cheese, luncheon meat
- Chilled grapes – red and green
- Sugar Cookies
9. Babysitting the Neighbor’s Kids
Entertain while you babysit by treating the kiddos to a picnic!
- Baked breaded chicken strips
- Mac ‘n’ cheese
- Sliced Watermelon
- Dirt pudding – Let the children make their own servings of dirt pudding by layering chocolate pudding, whipped cream, chopped chocolate sandwich cookies, gummy worms
Let us eat and be merry!