Warmer weather tends to be a great motivation to increase activity and eat healthier. Who doesn’t want to feel healthy and fit heading to a beach vacation? All you need for a toned body is the following summer fitness combo (but don’t forget to eat healthy in the process). Including each component of cardio work, strengthening and abdominals will work all muscle groups and allow you to feel challenged from head to toe!
* You will need a set of weights for the strengthening portion. If you have not lifted for a few months, use 3-5 lbs. For those more experienced, use 5-8 lbs.
Warm up options:
Running in place (or around the block), high knee run and booty kick run (10-15 min).
For the ultimate workout, complete the following exercise set three times through!
Cardio – Squat Jumps
Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, hands behind your head and elbows slightly visible. Squat down as if sitting in a chair. Make sure your knees do not go forward past your toes. Swing your arms down by your sides as you jump up, with legs straight and toes pointed. Squeeze your bottom at the top of the jump to work those muscles too! Land softly with bent knees and gently sink back into the squat position to repeat 20 times.
- For more intensity: Add 10 squat pulses in your seated position at the end.
- Modification: Instead of jumping after your squat, raise your heels to stand on your toes while engaging your core and bottom.This modification is easier on the knees.
Strengthening – Lunge Press
Stand with feet together, holding a weight in each hand down by your side. Step one foot forward into a deep lunge. As you come back to standing position, bring the weights upward, keeping them close to your body, for a shoulder press with arms straight above your head. Complete 10 on each leg.
- For more intensity: Lift your knee to waist height when lifting weights to shoulder press.
- Modification: Do exercise without weights or only bring arms to a bicep curl instead of extending above your head.
Abdominals – Side Bend Twist
Begin in side plank on your right side with your left foot staggered in front of your right. Extend your left arm toward ceiling. Make sure your body is in a straight line, that you aren’t lifting your bottom up. Then, curve left arm under your stomach, twisting your torso until your chest is facing the floor. Return to your starting position and repeat. Complete 10 reps on each side.
- For more intensity: Use a light weight in your extended hand.
- Modification: Keep your bottom leg bent, using the knee to help support the body.